Tuesday 9 October 2007

New Monster Gaming Machine!

It's been very quiet here since Halo 3 was released, so just to prove there is more to life then Master Chief I thought I post the details of the new PC gaming rig I'm putting together ready for Crysis and more fitting of a BatCave! ;-)

Decided to go the whole hog in the end an pretty much replaced everything except the case.

Here's the specs-
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0 stepping) - Initiallay wasn't convinced about Quad cores and bought the E6600 but then heard about the new G0 Quad cores so return the Dual core unopened and got that this. Should be worth the extra 50 quid with Alan Wake and Crysis both multi threaded and with water cooling should easily be able to get 3.5Ghz!

nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb - Did toy with the GTS but that extra 30% was just too tempting. This thing is huge, doesn't even fit in my case without pulling out the HD cage!

Asus P5KC Motherboard - CPC recommended, great overclocker and it supports DDR3. No RAID support but who needs that!?

2Gig of Corsair XMS 800 - Another great overclocker and should be fine until DDR3 becomes affordable.

Looking forward to getting this all up an running! I'll post my benchmarks once I finally put it all together.

8 comments:

Lee said...

How much did that all set you back? I upgraded about 2 years ago. That sounds like a MONSTER rig though!

Ben said...

Wasn't cheap! The graphics card alone was just over 300 quid! The processor was about 180, the motherboard was 'only' 80 plus memory total was about 600 quid. However if you add the new 24" monitor dell monitor, the Reserator water cooling rig and the 5.1 THX speakers then it's quite a bit more! Best not give exact figures in case the wife reads this. ;-)

Mal said...

hehe! i remember paying £299 for a Geforce 2! mind you this was a few years ago ;)

RegHardware say the Q6600 is multiplier locked tho, you can't then overclock it.. right?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/08/review_core_2_quad/

Mal said...

Seems you can, just googled and plenty of people are oc'ing it, someone had it up to 3.71 GHz!!

Ben said...

Oh yes.
That was the main reason I bought it, the reports back especially on the new G0 SLACR stepping are awesome. A 1 Gig overclock is actually quite reasonable.

Ben said...

My only concern is reports I have heard about the 9800 coming in November (the nVidia not the old ATI one!) Rumours suggest they have reached one terra flop! Twice the speed of the 8800!
Tempted to see if I can return it and wait another month and see what happens. Would be gutted if my card becomes mid range so quickly!

Ben said...

Huge U turn!
I have just got an RMA to return the 8800GTX! Having read quite a few forum posts about the new cards around the corner have decided now is not the time to get a top of the range card, I can wait a few weeks! After all, I still have Halo to keep me busy!

Ben said...

Finally returned the 8800GTX yesterday, I left it as late as possible to make the most out of this awesome beast! I couldn't find a single game that made it sweat even on at 1920 1280. But alas I have bid it farewell. Sounds like nVidia are going to be making a big announcement any day now.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidia-9800-Series-Coming-Soon-62786.shtml